Share out: Work Interviews - describe what you learned or were surprised by, or discuss the process
Turn in Work Interviews
Begin reading Chapter 1 of The Great Gatsby
HW: Notes/corrections/reflections on multiple-choice section from final exam due tomorrow.
Finish reading Chapter 1 of The Great Gatsby. As you read, consider the following:
- How does East Egg differ from West Egg?
- Describe Tom Buchanan’s physical appearance and attitudes.
- How does Fitzgerald show the tension in Tom and Daisy Buchanan’s marriage? Find at least three examples.
- What does Daisy imply when she laughs, “Sophisticated—God, I’m sophisticated!”
- What do you think Fitzgerald means by Nick’s comment, “It made me uneasy, as though the whole evening had been a trick of some sort to exact a contributory emotion from me. I waited, and sure enough, in a moment she looked at me with an absolute smirk on her lovely face as if she had asserted her membership in a rather distinguished secret society to which she and Tom belonged”?
- Review the scene in which Nick first sees Gatsby. What details does Fitzgerald use to heighten suspense and make Gatsby seem mysterious?