HW: (Start when quiz is finished) Begin to annotate and prep for discussion tomorrow:
"The Culture of Thin Bites Fiji"
"Globalization of Beauty Makes Slimness Trendy"
"Turning Boys into Girls: How Men's Magazines Are Making Guys as Neurotic, Insecure, and Obsessive about Their Appearance as Women" (NOTE: this link is only to the first part of the article--the site requires a 7 day free trial to view the rest, and I am not responsible for any fees or legal quandaries that may result. I gave out the essay in class that students should refer to first.)
Prep by doing 3-2-1-1 or reflecting on some of these Critical Questions:
- What is the author's claim? What occasion might have prompted the author to consider these ideas? Was there anything in the news around this time that is relevant?
- What is the genre of the piece? What limitations might genre place on this text?
- What biases or values seem to be present?
- What is missing from the argument, that would make the argument fuller or richer?
- What does the text reveal about power, gender, class, or race?
- When was the text written? To what extent have circumstances changed?
- Who is the intended audience for the text? How do you know?